Friday, October 30, 2015

Gesu Visit 5

During my fifth visit at Gesu, I went to the book fair with the children. They were able to create wish lists if they didn't have money today. These were books that they wanted to buy and they took the list home to show their parents what books they were interested in. They were all very excited and read their lists to their friends.They were very cooperative and it was interesting to see what kind of books caught their eyes. All the students had different taste in books. One of the girls was interested in dinosaur books and her classmates told her that she  liked "boy" books. This caught my eye because at such a young age, children form these ideas of what girls should like and what boys should like. This did not bother the little girl at all which I was surprised but was also very proud of. If at such a young age she learns to not let those kind of things bother her, it will make things a lot easier as she gets older. Too often, kids are made to feel like the things they are interested are wrong because of things such as gender norms and what our society views as acceptable and not acceptable. I can say for certain in my future classroom that I would never tell one of my students that what they like is "too girly" or "that's what boys like, you can't like that." They'll learn that they are free to be whoever they choose and society may not always be accepting, but you learn to deal with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment