Sunday, October 25, 2015

Gesu Visit 1

I was assigned to do my field work at Gesu in one of the kindergarten classes. During my first visit, I met the teacher, Mrs. Parisi, and her aid. The children had music class that day so I was able to observe that. They were very well behaved and enjoyed singing with their teacher. They were assigned their own spaces on the carpet to sit at and that was where they sat when they sang and played classroom games. Their classroom teacher and music teacher got the children's attention by telling them they wouldn't explain the activities until all the students were quiet. It would only take a minute or two before they became quiet and listened to the teacher's instructions. They were very excited to have a new face in the classroom. I was able to work with the students and help them when needed. I noticed that when I would help one student, 5 more would approach me and say they needed help as well even though I could tell they had an idea of what to do. They were well mannered and respectful to their teacher and classmates. I really enjoyed working with the children and it reassured me that I have chosen the right profession. It also showed me that I wouldn't necessarily want to work with children as young as 5 years old but I still enjoy the early childhood setting. It was beneficial to be able to go in a early childhood classroom during my first semester of freshman year so I was able to see what it is like and if this was the major I wanted to pursue. It shows you what the teachers go through on a daily basis and that the job will not always be easy, but it is very rewarding knowing you're helping students grow and that is what is most important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment