Monday, October 5, 2015

FieldBlogPost-Mayfield Middle School

During my visit at Mayfield Middle School, I observed a lot for the short time I was there. The school was really big compared to my K-8 grade school. It had a very open floor plan and was kept exceptionally clean. When my classmates and I walked in, the staff was friendly and welcoming to us. They helped us find what type of classroom we would be interested in and let us sit in on that class during our visit. First, I was able to walk into a Digital Communications class where the children were working on an I AM poem. They were all working independently and helped one another out if they were having a problem on their computer. The teachers were very involved in their classrooms. They were always walking around the room, making sure there students stayed on track and understood the assignment. I also noticed there was a mutual respect between the teacher and most of the students which is very important. The school offered a variety of classes. The classrooms I was able to observe were colorful and well decorated but not to the point where it would be distracting to the students and their learning. The second class I was able to sit in on was an eighth grade language arts class. The class I saw for the first five minutes I was there was quiet and well behaved. When the students switched classes and another eighth grade class entered the room, I noticed they were going to be much louder just by the way they approached the classroom. They were assigned to read for the first fifteen minutes of class. Many of them were unable to concentrate and did little to no reading. They were allowed to read a book of their choice. I observed that even when respect from the teacher is given to their students, there will still be children who give you a hard time. I also noticed how having new visitors in the classroom can change how the students act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment